Lentil & Sweet Potato Cottage Pie
A budget friendly meal that's packed with comforts of home - and lentils!
1 hr 15 Minutes
Chef Dorothy's Comments
This is a simple but hearty and budget friendly recipe. If you make it once, you will make it over and over...
I love changing it slightly each time to keep it fresh, try seasonal changes such as different root vegetables. The flavourful lentils make it in to a filling meal, one that is also tasty the next day.
If you have whole spices to hand, this is a great recipe to use them in. Toast them in a pan for a few minutes. This will quickly bring out the flavour. Then grind them in a mortar & pestle. If you have powders, don’t worry it will still be just as tasty but with a little less magic!
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
250 g dried green lentils
- 1 tbsp gluten free gravy granules Marigold
- 500 g sweet potato
1 whole celeriac (about 500g)
- 1 tsp cumin seed (or ground)
- 1 tsp mustard seed (or ground)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 ½ large carrots
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Marigold Engevita Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- Sauté the onion in 1 tbsp olive oil on low heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. When done, stir in the lentils so they are coated well.
- Dissolve the gravy granules into 375 ml water and add to the pan with the lentils. Bring to the boil then reduce to a gentle simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cut the sweet potato and celeriac into 2 cm cubes. Add to a pan with 500 ml water and the spices. Gently simmer with a lid for 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Drain the sweet potato and celeriac but save the water and set it aside. Mash the root vegetables until smooth with a potato ricer or blender.
- Stir into the mashed potato: 1 tbsp olive oil, the pan water (adding more if too thick) and the brewer’s yeast.
- Cut the carrots into large diagonal chunks and add to the lentils, along with the finely chopped sundried tomatoes and chopped tomatoes.
- Spread the lentil mix into a casserole dish and pat flat. Spread the sweet potato/celeriac pie mixture on top and pat flat.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle a bit of Engevita and put back into the oven to brown for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy. Goes lovely with a fresh dip / creamy relish and salad.