Baked Mushroom Risotto
Simple method - creamy result!
Contains Nuts (optional)
Chef Dorothy's Comments
This is my most comforting weeknight meal.
I love to make a large batch as it seems to get tastier as leftovers. My 7-year-old son does not love mushrooms, but if I chop them really small he devours this!
To reheat, either simmer slowly in a pan with a splash of extra water, or - my favourite way - is placed in the oven for 5 minutes with a little vegan parmesan sprinkled on top.
- 20g dried Porcini mushrooms
- 160g brown Risotto rice
160g black rice
- 1 medium onion
- 1tbsp Olive oil
125g brown mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tbsp Marigold Bouillon, or 1/2 Marigold stock cube
- 250ml white wine, (or replace with 225ml water and 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar)
For The Vegan Parmesan:
- 50g macadamia nuts (optional)
- 3 tsp Marigold Engevita Nutritional Yeast
- A pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven 220 degrees celsius.
- Soak the dried porcini mushrooms in boiling water for 10-20 minutes.
- Rinse both types of rice well and boil together in double the quantity of water for 15 minutes (the rice won’t be fully cooked at this stage). Strain and set aside.
- Finely chop the onion and sauté in 1 tbsp olive oil for about 4 minutes on a medium heat.
- Roughly chop the brown mushrooms, and add to the pan with the onions.
- Sauté for a few more minutes. Save a few nicely sliced ones for the topping.
- Strain the porcini mushrooms, but save the liquid. Chop finely and add to the pan stirring in.
- Add the boiled rice to the pan and pour over the broth, white wine and the liquid from the porcini mushrooms along with the salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to the boil, then transfer to an oven-proof dish with a lid on.
- Cook in the oven for 40 minutes (check once or twice to see that the liquid is reducing but not drying out. Add some more broth or boiling water if it is).
- Put all the macadamia nuts and Engevita in blender and blend. If there are still big chunks, scrape them down with a spatula and blend again.
- Remove the risotto from the oven and serve with a generous amount of vegan ‘parmesan’.
- Serve and enjoy. Goes lovely with a crunchy lettuce side salad.